
Long ago I was teaching a class. There was one kid who was a bit odd. He had some habits that I didn’t understand and, frankly, didn’t like. Still, I could see his heart was pure and that he didn’t mean to upset me.
I mentioned this to a young woman who knew the group. I explained the frustration I was experiencing with the slow progress this boy was making. She explained the situation using an image. Here is what she said.
Most of our lives are like a record (remember those?). As life goes on, we often get a few scratches. Most of the time, they don’t affect the quality of the music of our life very much. It may result in a slight pop, that’s all. Sometimes a good cleaning with an anti-static rag will get rid of them.
For some, an event in their life has created a huge scratch. When the music is played, it can really irritate others and make the listening experience much less enjoyable, particularly when the record keeps playing the same thing over and over.
Unfortunately, there is not much you can do about the scratch in the record. If you play it over and over, the needle may wear down the surface to make it less noticeable, but that is usually not the case. You just have to accept that the record is scratched and ignore the parts that are damaged and concentrate on the remaining good parts.
It’s easy to blame the person for the scratch in the record, but often it wasn’t the person’s fault. Even if it was, how many of us can claim that we haven’t scratched our own records.
It is easy to be upset by the flaws we see in others, even if it isn’t their fault. What we need to do is still appreciate the music and dance.
I mentioned this to a young woman who knew the group. I explained the frustration I was experiencing with the slow progress this boy was making. She explained the situation using an image. Here is what she said.
Most of our lives are like a record (remember those?). As life goes on, we often get a few scratches. Most of the time, they don’t affect the quality of the music of our life very much. It may result in a slight pop, that’s all. Sometimes a good cleaning with an anti-static rag will get rid of them.
For some, an event in their life has created a huge scratch. When the music is played, it can really irritate others and make the listening experience much less enjoyable, particularly when the record keeps playing the same thing over and over.
Unfortunately, there is not much you can do about the scratch in the record. If you play it over and over, the needle may wear down the surface to make it less noticeable, but that is usually not the case. You just have to accept that the record is scratched and ignore the parts that are damaged and concentrate on the remaining good parts.
It’s easy to blame the person for the scratch in the record, but often it wasn’t the person’s fault. Even if it was, how many of us can claim that we haven’t scratched our own records.
It is easy to be upset by the flaws we see in others, even if it isn’t their fault. What we need to do is still appreciate the music and dance.
No comments:
Post a Comment