I hear the approach of the thundering hoards
I strap on my guitar and I play the same chords
I’ve played hundreds of times before
Instinctively I know what they like to hear
And I flash them my smile and as they draw near
A few drop some money
And then they are gone
I’m a subway musician, didn’t finish my song
I adjust all my strings and await the next throng
The footsteps draw closer, so I start the same song
I play the same chords as my endless encore
I’ve played for 8 hours and my fingers are sore
I regard every person as a personal friend
A coin hits the cup
They pass, I end
My drink’s at my feet, I’m thirsty, I bend
Am I chasing an impossible dream?
I live for the music and though it may seem
There are hundreds more like me
Just wanting their breaks
I have the talent, I have what it takes.
An echo snaps me back to the dimly lit hall
My voice rasps the lyrics; I give it my all
I smile and I nod as the masses arrive
I keep pounding the strings ‘cause I have to survive
They go on their way, but I keep playing the tune
My mind’s now on a stage
The crowd’s in a rage
And I play the last note and then take a bow
Am I chasing an impossible dream?
I live for the music and though it may seem
There are hundreds more like me
Just wanting their breaks
I have the talent, I have what it takes.
I pack up my gear and I go on my way
I will soon be discovered, tomorrow’s the day
For a subway musician who still has some hope
As I jingle the change that will help me to cope
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Greetings from a NYC subway musician,
I love this song - did you write it?
I would like to ask your permission to post it on my blog www.SawLady.com/blog (with a link back to you, of course), please.
In my blog I tell what happens when I play in the NYC subway.
Thank you very much,
Saw Lady
Dear Saw Lady,
Yes, I composed The Subway Musician. I think it could be a real hit, but I need somebody to write the music. I have a tune in my head, but I can't write music. Any ideas?
Thank you for your comment. It is the first one I have received in such a long time. It is nice to know that somebody is reading my blog besides friends and family.
Dear Saw Lady,
I forgot to tell you that you have permission to post it on your blog as long as proper accreditation is given.
Feel free to look at other poems scattered throughout my blog. You might enjoy them, too.
Post a Comment