Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Truth and the Internet

Many tend to think of the Internet as an area where people have total freedom of speech. While this may be true, people tend to believe what they read on it to be true. Today while searching for a Greek restaurant in London, Ontario, it became very apparent that what I was reading might not be the truth at all.

In London, there are three Greek restaurants I found: Mykonos, Santorini and the Mythic Grill.

Also online was an internet site where anybody can rate the restaurants. Santorini is rather new, so there were only two reviews. Mykonos had 30 and the Mythic Grill had 52. The average score out of 10 for Mykonos is 7.4. The Mythic comes in at 9.1.

I have never eaten at the Mythic Grill, but I intend to one day. Looking at the scores, it appears to be the best Greek restaurant in London. But is it?

When you look at the ratings for both restaurants you find some glowing reviews that sound like Bruno on Dancing With the Stars. The scores are nines and tens. What I find incredible is that there are ratings of one to contrast with these high scores. The ones that have these abysmal numbers have very little comments. It appears as if the friends of each restaurant are taking turns writing reviews that would be the envy of top restaurants in the Michelin Guide, while others are trashing the competition.

Seriously, there would have to be something drastically wrong for me to give a rating of 1 for the food. This score would be for something that was barely edible like cardboard.

The absence of mid-range reviews also makes me suspicious. It seems as if people adore or abhor each restaurant.

Can I trust these reviews? I don’t think so. That is why I hope to try Santorini and the Mythic Grill. Stay tuned and I will eventually give you the truth – at least the truth as I see it.

No comments: