Monday, November 10, 2008

Luck Comes In Threes?

Saturday started very nicely, thank you. I walked up to the YMCA for a workout. When I entered the door, Nancy Riddell came up to me and told me that I had won a prize in a draw they had on Halloween.

I love winning! Everyone does. I’m not complaining. On second thought, I am. It seems every time I win something, it is nothing of any great value.

My prize at the YMCA was a cloth bag. It didn’t even say YMCA on it. It appeared to be something they had been given by one of their suppliers. I figure it was worth about 49¢.

However, being positive, I told myself luck comes in threes. I prepared myself for my next win.

It came that evening. Marie and I attended a fundraiser in London. At the end of the night, they gave away the centrepiece at each table to the person whose birthday was closest to that day. I was the winner again.

Marie gave me a strange look that indicated that she thought it was ugly and didn’t want to take it home. I offered it to everybody at our table. Silence. I spoke louder, thinking they couldn’t hear me. Silence again. Nobody wanted it. Instead of being like MasterCard, priceless, it was like my other win that day, almost worthless.

I quickly went down some of my other great prizes. There was the ultra-thin towel I won at the drug store. I can’t forget the notepad from Iberia Airways I received in a contest for a travel agency in naming their newsletter. Winning a flight or a weekend in Montreal was what I was hoping for on that one.

When I lived in Ottawa, I actually won two tickets to the Senators’ hockey game. That was a great prize. The only problem was that I had another commitment I couldn’t get out of, so I had to give the tickets away.

I am still holding on to the belief that luck comes in threes. I am prepared for the big one. I don’t know what it will be, but I’m having lots of fun dreaming of whatever it might be. I really don’t care when it comes, because living with the expectation gives me a positive feeling that things are going to work out fine. It’s sort of like the excitement before Christmas.

So, if you hear any screaming, you will know that my ship has arrived.

No comments: