
I have been working with Ray and William to try to get the 1949 Tip Top Tailors team in Softball Canada’s Hall of Fame. It won the 1949 World Championship. We’ll see what happens.
In order to get the submission together, I have had to contact two of the four remaining players on the team, Ray and William. I've used the name William, but everybody calls him Babe, including me.
Over the months I have developed a special relationship with both of these men. While they could have rested on their laurels, they haven’t. They have given back to the sport much more than they have taken out of it.
Babe has shown me the amount of love he has in so many ways. The greatest example I see is the love for his wife.
About fifteen years ago, she had a stroke and has been unable to speak. Faithfully he goes to visit her almost every day. He remains dedicated to her when many more would have given up. He finds a way to fit other activities around seeing her. This is a priority. There is no sign of regret or bitterness in his voice. I’m sure he would love to have his wife’s health restored, but he simply goes on playing with the cards he is dealt.
It’s easy to show love when everything is going great and you are on top of the world. Babe has taught me that true love is something that reaches out and touches somebody when it involves sacrifice.
“The greatest love you can show is to give your life for your friends.” Babe personifies this verse.
No comments:
Post a Comment