Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Mercury in My Hand

I have had an interesting life. I know that I have done many things that others dream of. I have made enough mistakes to gain some wisdom, but not enough of them to be devastated.

Along the way I have learned a valuable lesson that is contained in the title of a popular song – Let It Be.

Many of the good things that have happened have not been the result of reaching out and grabbing what I want. It has been a process of waiting expectantly for it to happen and being ready when the opportunity presents itself.

The best image I can come up with is when I had my first encounter with mercury. I tried to grasp it in my hand. When I closed my fingers, it squirted away. I learned very quickly that the best way to contain it was to gently cup it in my hand.

That’s the way life has been for me. Sometimes I have lost things by squeezing too hard. I am still learning to be patient and letting things drop into my hands then holding them with care.

This doesn’t mean that I am just sitting around here doing nothing. I still try to expose myself to as many opportunities as I can. I have come to accept that the route that I have planned may change several times along the way.

Doing this has allowed me to have an attitude of being able to accept most of what comes my way without worry. I don’t have to rush around grabbing things. Like the mercury, I just have to accept the things that are placed into my life.

No comments: