
I really don’t like winter. I prefer summer any day.
Compare casually strolling out to my front porch watching a river float by to having to put on layers of clothing before I dare set foot outside into the cold.
But it is not the difference in temperature that is the main problem. It is the snow. Actually, it is not the snow. I don’t mind it that much. It is great for skiing in and building snowmen. What I dislike so much is what I have to do with it.
In the summer, I have to cut the lawn. However, I decide when I am going to do it. I can delay the task a day or two and it really won’t make much of a difference. Not getting cut so often might actually be good for the grass.
Snow is different. While the grass gently whispers to me, snow shouts. It says, “Come on out and shovel me or you won’t be able to get where you want!” I can be called to perform my duty any time of the day. Blowing snow first thing in the morning isn’t what I would call easing into the day.
But that isn’t the whole story. We had a blizzard on Friday. I waited for the snow to stop falling. Then I cleared the driveway and porch. Even with my snow blower, it took me over an hour. Guess what? It snowed again on Saturday and I had to go through the same process all over. Guess what again? Yes, a new layer of the white stuff is on the driveway. Fortunately, there isn’t enough to get worried about, but there is no guarantee that I won’t be welcomed tomorrow morning by another invitation to go outside to work.
I often look at situations in life and try to figure out what I can learn from them. Canadian winters have taught me plenty. The lesson here is that there are some things that you have to do without knowing if the fruits of your labour will result in the desired outcome. Sometimes circumstances ignore all of your efforts and take you back to the starting gate.
Sitting inside my house and just leaving the snow is not an option. Neither is doing nothing about the difficulties in life. I have get out there and get on with the job. If something else comes up, I have to deal with that too.
Why do I keep on doing this? Because I know that spring will eventually come. The warm air will melt all that remains and I will bask in and appreciate the warmth of better times. Meanwhile, there are things that have to be done now, despite the obstacles. Life is still meant for living, it is just a bit more difficult right now. Not to worry, it is only four months until April. And in my life, I am confident that plugging away will eventually lead me to better things.
Now, if you pardon me, I have to go check to see if it’s snowing.
4 comments:
..same here..shovel shovel shovel and then the plow comes along and blocks the car in....but spring does come...and with it the tender sprigs of new grown grass, the slender blades of daffodil greens, the moss, that was covered all winter and stayed fresh with an emerald hew...and...best of all.....a winters worth of dog poo!...lol...
I like your analogy to the dog poop. When the difficulties pass and spring arrives, sometimes there are some scars that remain. Eventually they fade away and usually disappear completely.
John...it was me with the dog poo comment....make sure when you go out to heal those scars, you are wearing your "Wellington Boots"
Ditto for you. Everyone has things happen in their lives they wish they could change or do over. Part of the comfort of picking up the poop is knowing that others have to do the same thing.
Once in awhile, people come into your life who help you pick it up.
Still some scars may remain. Sometimes that's fine, too. If you look at them as battle wounds and lessons to be learned, then they don't seem so bad at all.
Sara Groves says it pretty well in this song - especially the part about like "less like scars and more like character".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9RDNuUz7Sk
Post a Comment