As an occasional teacher, you sometimes meet a group of students and something clicks. When it does, it is magic. You find you are teaching about life as well as the curriculum. This happened to me on November 8.
Throughout the day, I was able to draw from my own personal experiences in other countries to supplement the lessons. The students seemed to enjoy the tales of my adventures in places like Guatemala, Poland, Turkey, China, India, Kosovo and Macedonia.
If there is time at the end of the day, I often ask students if they have any questions about anything for me. I promise that I will answer truthfully any question that I deem serious and not too personal.
At the back of the room was a girl with her hand up immediately. She had told me that she had really traveled nowhere and admired the fact that I had. She asked, “How can I be like you?” I was flattered, but my answer shot from my mouth as soon as it flashed in my brain.
I said, “You can’t be like me. You can only be like you. Your job is to listen to that voice in your soul and use the gifts that you have been given to be the best you you can be.”
You could have heard a pin drop. It was not the answer they had expected. It was not the answer I thought I would have given. Yet, it was so profound and true.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a wonderful collection of thoughts you have created. Each has a valuable point that we can take in and utilize in our own lives. Thank you so much, and thank you to Bob Proctor's Daily Insights for sharing you with more of us!
Kathleen
www.kathleenjacoby.blogs.com
I caught your post on Bob Proctor's Insight of the Day. After linking to your blog I was caught up in several of your stories. Thank you for sharing this wonderful gift of expression. Each "lesson" was thought provoking.
Leslie
Post a Comment