Friday, March 07, 2008

Say Something Good

It started as a bit of a joke. Peter asked me the score during our badminton match. I told him and he disagreed with me. I pointed out why I thought he was mistaken and he said, “John, you’re right!” I told him that hearing those words was music to my ears. He could say them anytime he wants, as far as I was concerned. So he did, and we laughed each time.

I decided to continue on with the fun. I walked up to people in the club and gave them praise. I commented on their great spirit, their abilities in badminton and on anything else that I could think of. Even though I laid it on a bit thick, nobody hated what I was doing. They lapped it up. Many of them gave me positive comments right back. I lapped them up. Again, everybody laughed. Yes, we were being silly, but we all enjoyed somebody telling us how wonderful we are.

In my life as a teacher, I have found the same thing. If I can find some way to praise a student, the effect is like seeing ice suddenly melt on a warm spring day. The more I can do this in a classroom, the better day for everyone. The students feel better for the positive comments and I feel better for having made them.

Hmmm. Can we possibly learn something? Do you think life will be better for us if we walk up to people and start saying positive things to them? What would happen if we even did this to people who hate us? Might they live up to the words that we send their way? Even if they don’t, we will view them in a better light.

Are we not wonderfully made? Just think, millions of molecules that work together to create human being, dogs, cats and every living thing. These miracles are happening every day.

So how about it? Make it a point to say something nice to somebody today, and if it feels good, keep doing it.

No comments: